Postings Advertise Resources Blog Discussions About Us Register Login BizBen Podcast   BizBen Podcast  
BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

What Changes Are You Seeing In Coin And Card Laundry Businesses?

In the last couple of years, we have seen an increase in the number of new stores opening and older stores being remodeled and re-equipped with the latest in commercial laundry equipment. The pace is not what it was in the very prosperous times of the early to mid-2000s but there is plenty of activity.

As mentioned in previous blog posts, articles and discussion, coin and card laundry businesses are a popular business that attracts a lot of interest from a wide variety of prospective operators/buyers. People are attracted to the possibility of being self-employed, having a less stressful work environment, flexible hours, the casual lifestyle and, hopefully, an attractive return on their investment.

Coin laundry buyers vary widely in terms of their background and ambition, as does the size of their operations they buy. For example, their operations can range in size from one or two stores to large chains. In many U.S. cities, immigrants are investing in the laundromat business in order to get a visa.

Nevertheless, coin-op laundries serve the same need they always have and it's not unusual to see some stores that look no different than they did 20 years ago. However, the business is changing. Some changes are obvious and have been happening slowly over the last several years. For example, coin operators are installing larger, energy efficient washers and dryers, payment systems outside of coin and are remodeling to make their stores more attractive.

I have noticed another interesting development. I believe it is due mostly to one of features that attracts everyone; a good return on investment.

It appears to me that, in addition to the entry-level entrepreneurs who have long been interested in the coin-op laundry business, more and more established successful business owners, with plenty of money and resources already, want to invest in this business. Experienced business people are discovering that the business, though not overly glamorous, can be very profitable.

Over the years, I've received calls from potential business buyers inquiring about the laundry industry. For the most part, these have been individuals who have a job and want to supplement their income. They see this business, with its "promise" of limited active management, as a means to achieve this goal. Or, it may be the retired person who has money to invest and wants to keep busy (but not too busy). Then, there is the potential business buyer who just wants out of the corporate world and wants to be self-employed!

In the last year, I've noticed a new group of people inquiring about the industry - interested in either building new laundromats or remodeling old ones: a large real estate holding company, management company owners, a retired highly successful insurance agent, a gentleman who has owned a number of pharmacies, and a variety of others with extensive business experience and deep pockets.

These people are building a better mousetrap. They understand that you have to invest money to make money and they are not afraid of investing a little more to do that.

How are they spending this money? We know that Clean, Bright and Safe are the cornerstones of a successful coin or card laundry small business but more owners are taking other amenities to a whole new level. The days of prefabbed folding tables, linoleum floors, standard ceiling tiles and a couple of vending machines are going by the wayside.

We are seeing beautiful polished concrete or porcelain tile floors, high open ceilings with large fans and more comfortable seating. There are device charging areas and workstations, free Wi-Fi, an elaborate choice of vending machines and/or kiosks, play areas for children, more interesting and up to date color schemes and other beautiful design features. These people are building stores that people truly don t mind hanging out in. It's almost like you are in a chic coffee house while you do your laundry. These new laundries are also taking customer service to a new level. Though there are still plenty of self-service laundries, it seems that more and more are turning into attended stores. Card stores generally need an attendant and since there are more card stores, the result is more attended stores.

In addition, owners are recognizing that competition is growing and a way to beat the competition is with better customer service. As with any business customer, service pays off. I ve mentioned before that even though a typical coin-op laundromat customer may not be in the highest socioeconomic tier, they still want and appreciate a nice place to do their laundry AND they also appreciate good customer service!

Rounding out the better mousetrap is the laundry equipment. The most important element of making a store look and operate better is quality equipment. Not only do the commercial washers and dryers need to be attractive, easy-to-use and reliable for optimal day-to-day operations, they need to last, over the long term. The right laundry equipment, properly taken care of, will last 15-20 years.

Having spent many years in the coin and card laundry business I find these changes interesting and exciting to watch. It's always fun to see innovation and improvement! The message here that I hope current or future coin or card laundromat business owners will hear is that building a quality product and giving great customer service is paramount if you want to keep up and compete with these quality entrepreneurs and modern, state-of-the-art laundromats.

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

Dual Agency Brokers Does Dual Agency Really Work For All? ProIntermediaries Discuss This Topic

Who really represents the buyer? The selling broker or agent through dual agency? Many brokers and agents weigh in on this Discussion on BizBen. Bottomline is all business buyers need to know who really represents them and has their best interest at heart when seeking and negotiating on deals.
Buying A Car Wash Small Business Buying A Self-Serve Car Wash Business: What Should My Expectations Be?

Before purchasing a car wash (quick serve or full serve) you must understand that the industry as a whole will provide you with plenty of competition. More importantly, depending on what your interests are, you will identify what type of car wash you want. We discuss this all in this Discussion.
Co Brokerage When Selling A Business Before You Select A Business Broker: Do They Co-Broker With Other Brokers?

To receive the fullest exposure for selling their business, small business owner/sellers should make sure their listing broker or agent is co-operating with other business brokers and agents on their deal. Christina Lazuric a Orange County business broker discusses this topic with BizBen Users.
Reason For Not Selling Business What Are Some Possible Reasons My Broker Didn't Sell My Small Business?

What are some reasons a business that was previously on the market with another broker didn't sell? Every broker or agent understands that not every business they list will result in a sale. There can be many reasons small businesses don't sell and many are discussed on this BizBen Discussion post.
Business Buyers Biggest Mistakes What Are Buyers Biggest Mistakes? The Pro's Examine 25 Of The Most Common

A business buyer in our ProBuy Program searching to buy a small business asked me to sum up what I thought the biggest mistakes business buyers make when they search for and bought a small business. I asked ProIntermediaries on BizBen their thoughts on the matter and received a diverse response.
Appealing To Restaurant Buyers During COVID Tips On Selling A Restaurant: Appealing To Restaurant Buyers During COVID-19

ProIntermediary, Joe Ranieri (Business Broker) shares what buyers are looking for in this unprecedented market. COVID-19 has made curb appeal more important than ever when selling a restaurant. Sellers still have the power to attract buyers in this market with focus of a few key requirements.
Pocket Listings Pocket Listings: Vast Hidden Market Or Myth With Business Buyers & Sellers?

What percentage of businesses for sale that are advertised and/or sold are pocket listings? What is the best way to find out about pocket listings? Are they advertised? Are they a big part of the businesses sold marketplace? In this Discussion ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors discuss this topic.
8 Questions To Sellers 8 Questions You Most Likely Will Be Asked When Selling Your Small Business

When selling your small business, you'll be bombarded with questions - from the brilliant to the ridiculous. You need to be prepared. Here are some of the key questions you can expect to be asked. Tim Cunha (SF Bay Area Business Broker) reviews many of these possible questions from potential buyers.
Questions When Buying A Liquor Store Buying A Liquor Store: 3 Questions To Consider And Ask Before You Purchase

Buying a liquor store? First, ask yourself these three critical questions to find out if owning a liquor store is right for you. Questions like hands on vs absentee ownership, inventory turnover, licensing issues. Peter Siegel, MBA (BizBen ProBuy & ProSell Program Lead Advisor) explores this topic.
Due Diligence Gas Station Purchases Buying A Gas Station Business: What To Look For When Doing Due Diligence

Doing due diligence when buying any type of business is extremely important. Regardless of what type of business you are buying there are certain things you will always look at such as, financials, equipment, legal issues etc. We take a look at several angles for optimal gas station due diligence.