Owning your own laundry business can be the most rewarding adventures one can take professionally. But for some it is a nightmare. The most common reason for this is poor awareness and poor preparation.
If you are considering investing in a laundromat business you must look forward first. The accomplishments or failures that the business has experienced to date are the businesses history but not necessarily its future. Most likely the business has experienced both successes and failures. This is expected and it is one of the most common gauges of value; but what you must look at when purchasing the business is the potential going forward.
Most importantly what will it take to get it there? Of course you must be realistic in both the expectations (projections) and the costs.
Answer these 6 questions before making an offer:
1. Get a complete history of income and expenses for 2-5 years. Note that it is ok to enter into a Letter of Intent Agreement prior to an actual offer in order to get information released for pre offer review. Typically you will have a brief period to determine if you are going to go forward. To do this you will need to establish credibility as a serious and qualified Buyer.
2. Develop a clear and realistic vision of what this laundry business will become under your direction. Find out what it will take to make it into that. Most importantly is to make your mark immediately. I am most comfortable when a Client updates the business model of a business as soon as they take possession. Put your mark on it now because sometimes-negative thinking and Naysayers will keep you from seeing your vision through when you wait. I have witnessed too many who failed because of not advancing their business plan.
3. Get a copy of the lease, including all Addendums and Assignments. Find someone to review the lease, who understands the particulars of the specific industry and market you are considering purchasing. An attorney should additionally review it. Neglecting either of these could lead to regret later. Don't forget to answer the questions "what are the industry and market norms and expectations" or other directly related particulars that make the lease desirable. As a rule I address many issues of every lease that comes my way. There is almost always something I don't like or wish to include or items that needs to be modified, added or what have you.
4. Knowledge is king. If you are going to purchase a business in an industry, you should have a good knowledge of the industry and who the players are. The same will be true for the products you sell and the services you provide. Ask yourself who are the competitors and how will you compete? A solid plan is essential. Research articles and on line sources suspiciously.
5. Be comfortable with the agent/brokerage you are dealing with. You should demonstrate good will to them. Disclose information to them and let them know that you are serious and qualified. Listen carefully. This is time to gather information. You can argue points and concerns when you are clear on what your needs are. But you should be immediately confident (before signing an NDA) that they will make sure to get you the information you need. If not then unless there is good explanation your best interest might not be important enough to them.
6. Don't let anyone tell you that you cannot have outside representation. You can find a broker that works as a Buyers agent and pay him. You can also pay an attorney. I would recommend one that knows the industry or that you have confidence that they understand the deal points in this situation sufficiently. If the broker has a problem with that then you might have reason to move on.
Well I can see there is too much to still say to be able to include it in this writing. Just remember, in the end it will be what you put into your business in terms of energy and finance combined with this early preparedness that will make you successful. No matter what business you buy it is called a "business opportunity" for a reason.
About This Contributor: Chuck Post specializes in selling coin laundries and consulting with laundry buyers and sellers. Let my associates and I help guide you on the path to success: Laundry Specialists * Expert Witness Services * Coin Laundry Valuations * Monthly Workshops On Buying & Selling Laundries. With 25 years of experience buying, selling, valuing, retooling, analyzing and giving expert court testimony about coin laundries, Chuck Post is one of the nation's leading experts in the field. Those interested in buying, selling, or starting a laundry business should contact Chuck at 619-227-5711.
|Helpful Resources To Assist In Selling And Buying California Businesses|
|Steve Erlinger: Laundry Broker, Consultant - Orange/Riverside Counties
I specialize in the laundry industry (Broker/Consultant at 949-500-5893) - Riverside, Orange Counties. I assist buyers navigate the many facets of finding, evaluating, and operating a laundry business. I also help current laundry owners find additional stores, sell, evaluate an existing laundromat.
|Brad Steinberg, Broker - Laundromat Specialists
PWS is the leading laundromat broker in California. Since 1968 PWS has brokered over 2,500 laundromat sales. With over 90 employees dedicated to the coin laundry industry, PWS has 18 licensed agents, a 3 person in-house finance department, 10 service technicians and a 20 person parts department.
|Larry Larsen, Broker, Laundry Specialist - Orange, LA Counties
Larry Larsen, Realtor has over thirty years of experience in the sales, ownership, management, and construction of coin laundries. He is a licensed broker active in the sale of coin laundries, a licensed insurance agent specializing in coin laundry insurance. Phone Larry at 714-630-9274.
|Chuck Post: Laundry Buyer Representation, Consulting, Due Diligence
Chuck Post has 32 years experience in the laundry industry, specializing in assisting laundry buyers (and entrepreneurs) with buying or starting up, building, re-tooling, laundries throughout California. Laundry buyer representation, consulting, due-diligence, lease negotiations, laundry valuations.
|Peter Siegel, MBA - SBA Loans, Non SBA Financing Assistance
For over 25 years I have provided niche business purchase financial advisory and loan placement services with SBA and Non-SBA Loans, Retirement Plan Conversions, Private Investors, etc. Financing amounts available: $20K to $7MM. Call today to get pre-qualified or receive financing: 866-270-6278.
|Mike Hurrell, Broker: Coin & Card Laundry Specialist Brokerage
Providencia Properties Inc in association with Golden State Laundry Systems is a full service Coin Laundry Real Estate Broker. At GSLS you will receive personalized attention from our professional staff of coin laundry experts. To sell or buy a Southern CA laundromat call Mike at 310-223-2240 X209.
|Diane Boudreau-Tschetter: Escrow And Bulk Sale Services
California Business Escrow, Inc. is a full service independent escrow company serving all of California and has expertise in a wide range of escrows. Our team prides itself on providing an exceptional escrow experience. For more info phone Diane Boudreau-Tschetter at 888-383-3331 or 209-838-1100.
|Willard Michlin, CPA, Certified Fraud Examiner, Due Diligence Services
Willard Michlin, CPA #106752, offers buyers step by step training & assistance in doing Due Diligence Services when they are thinking of making an offer, or are in process of investigating a business purchase. He helps to determine the actual net profit even when there is cash. Call 805-428-2063.
|Related Articles, Events, Blog Posts, Discussions, Videos, Interviews|
|Buyer Asks: Is Buying A Service Based Business A Good Choice These Days?
I've been selling businesses a long time & I get many calls from buyers who are open to buying something but aren't sure what would be a good investment. I'll get asked what I would buy if I was them and my answer is always the same, "a service business". Business broker Chris Lazurik explains.
|Increasing Your Laundry Business, Getting Your Laundromat Ready For Sale
Running a laundromat is simple, yes, but it's not easy. In this article Steve Erlinger - Laundry Broker & Consultant at 949-500-5893 will cover what it takes to increase business and get your card or coin, laundromat in top shape ready to sell for top dollar in any economic environment.
|Determining The Value Of A Laundry Business: What Factors Are Important
Steve Erlinger (laundry Broker & Consultant at 949-500-5893) discusses how to value a laundry. Issues that affect a value include: demographics, the lease, past financial performance of the laundromat, age and condition of the equipment, utility costs, competition and other factors all play a role.
|Laundry Broker Reports On The Latest Trends From The Laundromat Industry
Steve Erlinger, (laundry broker specialist/consultant 949-500-5893) reports the latest laundry industry trade show & what's new in the coin and card laundry industry. He discusses what various manufacturers are doing and why laundry distributors can be important ally when buying a laundry business.
|Laundromats: Are They Good Investments For Business Buyers? We Discuss This.
Are laundries good investments for buyers? Chuck Post, (at 619-227-5711 - California laundry consultant, due diligence services, and laundry buyer representation) discusses this topic with other advisors & brokers in this BizBen Discussion about laundry investments and if they are good investments.
|FREE Online Webinar: For Buyers - Buying A Card, Coin Laundry - 12/18, 1/3
Chuck Post hosts this live FREE webinar on Buying A CA Laundry. Upcoming webinar date: Tues 12/18 at 6PM, Thurs 1/3 at 12PM, Sat 1/12 at 11AM. Have your questions ready for an open and honest discussion about both the pros & cons of the laundry business. Phone 619-227-5711 for info & to RSVP today.
|Is The Laundry Business For You? Pros & Cons From A Laundry Broker / Advisor
Is a laundry business for you? Read the Pros and Cons of buying and operating a small or medium sized card or coin laundry. If you have ever thought about buying a card or coin-op laundromat you should read this BizBen blog post by Steve Erlinger (Laundry Broker & Consultant at 949-500-5893).
|FREE Live Laundry Seminars For Buyers: See Our Upcoming Schedule Of Seminars
Looking to buy or start up a card or coin laundromat? PWS Laundry is presenting their schedule of upcoming Seminars for laundry buyers & entrepreneurs. These informative live Seminars will cover an overview of the laundry industry, selecting the right location, an overview of leases, Q&A, plus more.
|See All News, Tips And Events|