Loading…

What Should I Be Looking For When Buying A Vending Route?

Comments & Feedback From Pro Intermediaries & Pro Advisors On BizBen:

When buying a vending route, there are several things you need to look for.

The location of the business s vending machines is the first thing you should review when you are doing your due diligence on prospective routes for sale. He best routes have machines placed in places that get regular foot traffic. Businesses and office complexes make perfect locations.

Equipment

The next thing you will want to look at is the quality and age of the equipment. A new vending machine can cost thousands so be sure that the route s machine s are in good shape and are in working condition.

Products

Lastly, you will want consider the type of products they are carrying. Vending machines that carry perishables like sandwiches will have to be maintained on a daily basis. Machines that carry snacks and soft drinks require less maintenance. Knowing how much time you want to put into the business will help you make this decision.

A vending route can be a great opportunity if you know what you are looking for and many can be acquired for a relatively small investment.

One of the things I would do if I were buying a vending route is ask why the owner is selling. If they are retiring, great, if not, be extra inquisitive, and also ask how long they have owned the route. I would ride along with the seller as the route is being serviced and inspect the machines along the way. I might also talk with the owner/manager of the establishment of where the machines are to learn more about the health and durability of the route.

We are in due diligence right now for the sale of a vending business in the Bay Area. These businesses can generate comfortable, steady, sustainable profits.

A few additional considerations:

1. Be sure to determine which machines are owned, which are leased, and which are on loan from the particular vendor (often the case for soft drink vending machines).
2. Determine how secure the locations are and how long they have been in place. Contracts for locations are no longer the trend--locations can be canceled with little or no notice.
3. Obtain maintenance and service records for the machines.
4. Determine how much of the business is traditional vending (cash sales by the consumer) and how much is "free vend" or "pantry" service (where the owner of the location pays for the food and drinks).
5. Examine the logistics of the route. Is it designed for the maximum efficiency with locations clustered together rather than being strung out over distances. The more compact the route, the more efficient and economical the business is.
6. Check on having redundant and alternative suppliers so that you aren't at the mercy of any one vendor.

BizBen Blog Contributer Buying a Business

Featured Resources, Advisors, & Intermediaries

Popular Blog Posts & Articles On BizBen Today

Popular Discussion Posts On BizBen Today