BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

As A Business Buyer What Questions Should I Ask The Seller?

Posted By: Peter Siegel MBA: BizBen Founder, Lead Advisor.   Asking the seller straightforward questions and getting straightforward answers in return is an important part of the buying and due diligence process. In this Discussion, both ProIntermediaries and Advisors offer thorough questions you should be asking during your meeting with a business seller.

Comments & Feedback From Pro Intermediaries & Pro Advisors On BizBen:

This is a great question. Before I answer it I want to stress the importance of doing your due diligence and asking the "right" questions when buying a business. You will probably never make a bigger and more consequential purchase in your life. Making a bad decision when buying a small business can be disastrous for both you and your family. Making sure you know everything there is to know about a business (ask a lot of questions during the process!) before you buy it is the number one priority should have.

Asking the seller straightforward questions and getting straightforward answers in return is an important part of the buying and due diligence process. Here are some of the questions you should be asking during your meeting with the business owner/seller and his or her team of professionals (business brokers, agents, attorney, etc.):

1. Why did you get into this business in the first place? What excites you about it?

2. What is your day-to-day role in the business?

3. What would your ideal transition look like? What do you want to do post-sale?

4. What would be your expectations of a buyer?

5. What problem does your company solve for your customers? Why do your customers buy from you rather than others?

6. Can you walk us through the entire process of your service/product line - from sourcing to distribution to serving the end customer?

7. Other than you, who are the leaders/executives in the company? What are their current and potential roles?

8. How long have your employees been with you, and why do they stay?

9. What types of problems arise in your business (external and internal)? Who deals with them, and how?

10. At what capacity level do you currently operate? What capital expenditures should be made in this business annually, and on what?

11. What opportunities exist in this market through the next three, five, or 10 years?

The answers you get from these questions will help guide your decision when buying or moving forward on a deal.. Would love to hear what other ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors on BizBen have to say on this topic - what questions do you hear most often from astute buyers and other Intermediaries?

One question I would ask if I were a buyer, and later confirm in writing, "Is there any personal property that you plan taking with you or does everything stay?" Yes, deals blow up because of landlords, disagreements over financials, etc., but sometimes there is a misunderstanding when the seller attempts to remove personal property that was never locked down in a written agreement. It might seem small, but buyers will oven think that if the seller is not being straightforward about something small, then what else are they not revealing. If the business has unique items, such as vintage surfboards on the wall, or a certain picture(s), that make the business unique, then get it writing that those items stay. Sometimes a seller has a family heirloom that is in the business that they plan on taking, which is fine, but it should be agreed to prior to close of escrow.

There's always room for more questions:

12. What mistakes have you made and how can I avoid repeating them?

13. Who have you found to be your best business and professional resources for advice and counsel? Why? Will they be available to me?

14. What are your personal relationships with your suppliers? Your customers? How dependent is future business dependent on transferring and maintaining those relationships? How likely is it that those relationships will or will not continue once you are out of the picture?

15. Have you thought about any contingency plans for the business (a "Plan B") if the market and economy don't evolve as we both hope they will? What are those plans?

16. How is your intellectual property protected? Do you rely on trade secrets? Are logos and business names trademarked? Are written, visual, and audio advertising, promotional, operational materials copyrighted? Are inventions patented?

17. Do your financial records reflect ALL of your business finances? Is there any income "off the books"? Are there any expenses "off the books", either paid with cash or personally by you, not through the business?

18. How available will you be and on what terms to assist or mentor me in taking over the business? For how long?

Place A Posting To Sell Or Buy A Business, Search All Postings

Sell A Business Fast: Place A For Sale Posting Now To Sell A Small Business - 7 Programs To Select From >
Find A Business To Buy Fast: Place A Wanted To Buy Posting Today - Best Way To Find & Buy A Business >
Search Business For Sale & Wanted To Buy Postings On BizBen - 500 New & Refreshed Postings Daily! >

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

Are Upfront Fees Worth It In Defense Of Upfront Broker Fees: Why Owners Should Pay Brokers Upfront

Are up front fees worth it? In this BizBen Blog post Brian Loring (Business Broker) discusses the pros and cons of owners of small businesses paying business brokers and agents an upfront fee for their services. There are many sides and opinions expressed on this topic by both sellers & brokers!
Questions When Buying A Liquor Store Buying A Liquor Store: 3 Questions To Consider And Ask Before You Purchase

Buying a liquor store? First, ask yourself these three critical questions to find out if owning a liquor store is right for you. Questions like hands on vs absentee ownership, inventory turnover, licensing issues. Peter Siegel, MBA (BizBen ProBuy & ProSell Program Lead Advisor) explores this topic.
Great Questions To Ask A Seller As A Business Buyer What Questions Should I Ask The Owner, Seller Or Broker?

Asking the seller straightforward questions and getting straightforward answers in return is an important part of the buying and due diligence process. In this Discussion, both ProIntermediaries and Advisors offer thorough questions you should be asking during your meeting with a business seller.
8 Questions To Sellers 8 Questions You Most Likely Will Be Asked When Selling Your Small Business

When selling your small business, you'll be bombarded with questions - from the brilliant to the ridiculous. You need to be prepared. Here are some of the key questions you can expect to be asked. Tim Cunha (SF Bay Area Business Broker) reviews many of these possible questions from potential buyers.
6 Untruths Told To Business Buyers 6 Possible Untruths Told To Business Buyers When Buying A Small Businesss

Even without meaning to be dishonest, sellers or brokers talking to someone who wants to buy a small business often make statements that are not true. And sometimes what is said is known to be a lie. The buyer is smart to carefully evaluate what they hear - six untrue statements sometimes told.
Should Buyers Take Control Before Closing? Should A Buyer Be Allowed To Operate A Small Business Before Escrow Closes?

Business buyers, brokers, owner/sellers all ask this question at some point. So I decided to ask some of the top Intermediaries in the California marketplace what they thought of the idea. Most of the ProIntermediaries on BizBen agreed with me on taking early possession before the close of escrow.
Taking Back Up Offers Important Back-Up Offers: Crucial When Buying Or Selling A Small To Mid-Sized Business

An often overlooked aspect of selling (or buying) a small business is taking back-up offers during the entire process of selling (or buying) a business. Most sellers (or buyers) don't realize that over fifty percent of all deals/contracts fall out escrow or contract for one reason or another.
Co Brokerage When Selling A Business Before You Select A Business Broker: Do They Co-Broker With Other Brokers?

To receive the fullest exposure for selling their business, small business owner/sellers should make sure their listing broker or agent is co-operating with other business brokers and agents on their deal. Christina Lazuric a Orange County business broker discusses this topic with BizBen Users.
Buying A Business Losing Money Should I Buy A Small Business That is Losing Money? Brokers & Agents Discuss

When considering buying a business that is losing money one has to be very careful. There are reasons that the business could be losing money that aren't fatal or extremely difficult to fix and there are other reasons that should send you running in the other direction. ProIntermediaries discuss.
Due Diligence Gas Station Purchases Buying A Gas Station Business: What To Look For When Doing Due Diligence

Doing due diligence when buying any type of business is extremely important. Regardless of what type of business you are buying there are certain things you will always look at such as, financials, equipment, legal issues etc. We take a look at several angles for optimal gas station due diligence.