Postings Advertise Resources Blog Discussions About Us Register Login BizBen Podcast   BizBen Podcast  
BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

Should Sellers Of Small Businesses Give Potential Buyers Their Tax Returns?

Posted By: Joe Ranieri, Business Broker: LA, Orange Counties.   Should small business owners/sellers or brokers/agents give potential buyers direct access to past company tax returns and financials (profit & loss statements) either before or pre the due diligence process? Multiple ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors discuss this topic on this BizBen Discussion.

As a seller, with regards to due diligence, should I give a buyer "third party authorization" to inspect my tax returns directly from the Internal Revenue Service?

This issue recently came up in a transaction that I was working on. I was selling a mini-mart to a buyer who had been an accountant for 20 years, and he did his due diligence by way of visual observation, register tape, sales tax filings, and was about ready to open escrow when he demanded the seller give him authorization to receive the tax returns directly from the IRS. The buyer was convinced that the tax returns could be fraudulent or doctored from the ones that were officially filed with the IRS. The seller created a counter offer that they would not authorize the buyer to pull tax returns directly from a government agency. The buyer balked, and the deal died.

It's been my general rule that a seller should give as much information about the business as possible during the due diligence period, and a buyer should be completely satisfied. It has been my experience that the majority of buyers do not want "third party authorization" for tax returns directly from the IRS, and are usually satisfied with inspecting the seller's copies, but if the buyer does not feel comfortable and not proceed because of it then that is their choice.

I would like to hear what other ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors on BizBen have experienced. Thanks.

After a contract is in place and due diligence has begun, tax returns are fair game. And, the prudent buyer receives them directly from the IRS with seller approval. A seller who refuses to allow independent verification of his tax returns, does so at his peril -- the buyer quite rightly should be suspicious and may very justifiably kill the deal.

After a contract is in place and due diligence has begun, tax returns are fair game. And, the prudent buyer receives them directly from the IRS with seller approval. A seller who refuses to allow independent verification of his tax returns, does so at his peril -- the buyer quite rightly should be suspicious and may very justifiably kill the deal.

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

Selling A Business 13 Crucial Tips Selling A Small To Mid-Sized Business: 13 Crucial Items To Sell A Business

Only 30% of all small businesses for sale that are put on the market overall are sold! A surprising statistic to most business owners, agents, and brokers trying to sell a small business! If however you follow the strategies (BizBen Protocol Method) in this blog post you should see success!
Buying A Business Losing Money Should I Buy A Small Business That is Losing Money? Brokers & Agents Discuss

When considering buying a business that is losing money one has to be very careful. There are reasons that the business could be losing money that aren't fatal or extremely difficult to fix and there are other reasons that should send you running in the other direction. ProIntermediaries discuss.
Buying A Car Wash Small Business Buying A Self-Serve Car Wash Business: What Should My Expectations Be?

Before purchasing a car wash (quick serve or full serve) you must understand that the industry as a whole will provide you with plenty of competition. More importantly, depending on what your interests are, you will identify what type of car wash you want. We discuss this all in this Discussion.
How To Select A Business Broker Selecting A Business Broker To Sell My Business: What Should I Look For?

What should your business broker do for you to successfully sell your small to mid-sized business? Well, there's many things that a qualified business broker can and should be doing for you. Multiple ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors give suggestions and tips to sellers in this BizBen Discussion.
How To Buy A Dry Cleaners Finding A Dry Cleaner Small Business For Sale That Will Be A High Performer

Before you buy a dry cleaners small business, read these critical tips about this industry. Discover why a dry cleaner needs to be "green" to be profitable. Peter Siegel, MBA (BizBen ProBuy, ProSell Program Advisor) explores this topic and other helpful strategies on buying a dry cleaning store.
Disclosures Needed For Business Buyers What Do I Need To Disclose To All Prospective Buyers Of My Small Business?

When selling a small business you always run the risk of a lawsuit. They aren't as common as one may think in this litigious world in which we live in, but whenever there is money exchanging hands & attorneys involved the stage is set for a lawsuit. Various ProIntermediaries share their viewpoints.
Business Buyer Feedback On Postings 8 Items Buyers Of Small Businesses Find Critical When Reviewing Businesses

In this month's Business Buyer survey for BizBen.com, we asked participants in our ProBuy Program and 250 other random business buyers what they look for and avoid when looking at a business for sale postings online. Of the 20 potential posting characteristics we asked about, 8 stood out with most.
3 Car Wash Types To Purchase Buying A Car Wash Business: 3 Successful Types Of Car Washes To Consider

One of the most popular business searches (and eventual business purchase) on BizBen is the self serve and full service car wash. Peter Siegel, MBA (ProBuy & ProSell Programs Director) with BizBen.com reflects on three types of car wash models and what buyers should look for in a car wash purchase.
Should Buyers Take Control Before Closing? Should A Buyer Be Allowed To Operate A Small Business Before Escrow Closes?

Business buyers, brokers, owner/sellers all ask this question at some point. So I decided to ask some of the top Intermediaries in the California marketplace what they thought of the idea. Most of the ProIntermediaries on BizBen agreed with me on taking early possession before the close of escrow.
Business Brokerage Questionable Practices Sellers: Watch For These Business Broker Questionable Practices

Lee Petsas (Southern California Business Broker) shares his concerns regarding some questionable business practices by some California Business Brokers lately. Other Business Brokers and Advisors weigh in as well on this BizBen Blog post with other "dirty tricks" they have observed and heard about.