Postings Advertise Resources Blog Discussions About Us Register Login BizBen Podcast   BizBen Podcast  
BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

What Are The Pros And Cons Of Selling A Business For Sale By Owner?

Posted By: Joe Ranieri, Business Broker: LA, Orange Counties.   What are the Pros & Cons of selling a business yourself? I get asked this question all the time and would like to share with other Intermediaries on BizBen all the angles of business owners taking the initiative and selling their own business.

I usually qualify a seller before I go out and meet with them. I ask the seller some questions to make sure they understand that I only take exclusive listings, so neither of us end up wasting our time. Once in a while, and more often earlier in my career, a seller will tell me, "I don't want to do an exclusive listing, only open listing, because maybe I ll be able to sell it myself." I never try to "hard sell" them or make the potential seller feel like they are wrong, because I was once a retail business owner, and so I can understand where they are coming from. I have sold hundreds of businesses and a seller may have only been involved in 2-3 transactions, if that, and so aside from saving money on commission, they may not know of the pitfalls that come along with that. I've learned that if you treat the potential seller with respect, and they do try selling it themselves, and it doesn't work out, they will come back to you when they do end up listing it for sell.

PROS

The Commission

Obviously, saving money on the commission is the number one reason why most sellers end up trying to sell it themselves. Who doesn't want to walk away with more money in their pocket? It's understandable.

Flexibility

One of the benefits of selling the business yourself is that you are not obligated to be with one business broker for a term of up to six months. There is no intermediary, and so you can sell the business, in your own words, to every potential buyer and explain why they should by it.

Control

If you are selling yourself, you don t have to give up the reigns to someone you don t know. An owner who sells it themselves, knows exactly the type of marketing being used, who inquired about their business, and directly what is the reaction to the market their business has.

CONS

Exposure

Many of the listings in my inventory feed off themselves, as an example, they come in looking at a 5-day coffee shop, realize it s not for them, and end up looking at a deli.

Confidentiality

This may be why many opt to list with a broker rather than sell it themselves. It's sad, but true, that many businesses for sell do not end up selling, and so it s important to have as few key people as possible know it s on the auction block. Meeting with buyers off site is essential, because an owner doesn t want someone coming into their business and saying, "hey is this the place to sale?" in front of employees and customers.

Getting The Deal Closed

I could say limiting liability, because the broker has all the correct forms and knows the timeline in which they are executed, but I find the greatest benefit a broker has in a transaction is solving problems that occur throughout the transaction. The broker often acts as the driving force during the transaction and keeps things moving, because the longer a transaction takes, the more likely the deal doesn't get done.

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

Business Buyers Biggest Mistakes What Are Buyers Biggest Mistakes? The Pro's Examine 25 Of The Most Common

A business buyer in our ProBuy Program searching to buy a small business asked me to sum up what I thought the biggest mistakes business buyers make when they search for and bought a small business. I asked ProIntermediaries on BizBen their thoughts on the matter and received a diverse response.
Buying An Absentee Small Business The Pros And Cons Of Buying An Absentee Run Small Business In California

Peter Siegel, MBA - BizBen Founder discusses the difference between a hands on owner and an absentee owner. It covers why someone would want to be an absentee owner and then goes on to discuss the pros and cons of buying an absentee run small business in the California marketplace.
Selling A Business 13 Crucial Tips Selling A Small To Mid-Sized Business: 13 Crucial Items To Sell A Business

Only 30% of all small businesses for sale that are put on the market overall are sold! A surprising statistic to most business owners, agents, and brokers trying to sell a small business! If however you follow the strategies (BizBen Protocol Method) in this blog post you should see success!
BizBen Thursday Evening Podcast Sessions Live BizBen.com Sessions Podcast: Upcoming Schedule, Topics, & Panelists

The BizBen.com Live Sessions Podcast is held on select Thursday evenings at 7PM. This 45 minute session is comprised of questions and topics that have been emailed and texted into the Host of this podcast Peter Siegel, MBA and informative panelists: ProAdvisors, ProIntermediaries, & Special Guests.
Buying A Business Losing Money Should I Buy A Small Business That is Losing Money? Brokers & Agents Discuss

When considering buying a business that is losing money one has to be very careful. There are reasons that the business could be losing money that aren't fatal or extremely difficult to fix and there are other reasons that should send you running in the other direction. ProIntermediaries discuss.
Questions To Ask A Business Broker Hiring A Business Broker? Ask These Top Key Questions First, Then Decide

The key to finding the ideal business broker or agent and selling a small business is asking the right questions and getting the right answers back! Peter Siegel, MBA with BizBen & several top business brokers and agents (ProIntermediaries) in California contribute to this topic to assist sellers.
Co Brokerage When Selling A Business Before You Select A Business Broker: Do They Co-Broker With Other Brokers?

To receive the fullest exposure for selling their business, small business owner/sellers should make sure their listing broker or agent is co-operating with other business brokers and agents on their deal. Christina Lazuric a Orange County business broker discusses this topic with BizBen Users.
8 Questions To Sellers 8 Questions You Most Likely Will Be Asked When Selling Your Small Business

When selling your small business, you'll be bombarded with questions - from the brilliant to the ridiculous. You need to be prepared. Here are some of the key questions you can expect to be asked. Tim Cunha (SF Bay Area Business Broker) reviews many of these possible questions from potential buyers.
Latest Business Broker Survey 6 Successful Traits Of Top California Business Brokers: New BizBen Survey

The latest BizBen.com survey of California Business Brokers and Agents outlined what it takes to be a top ten percent performer in the business brokerage industry. From good communication to utilizing your resources, these traits are something to take note of and put into practice to be successful.
Unreported Income Claims By Sellers Unreported Income Claims By The Seller - What Should A Business Buyer Do?

One of the most difficult challenges when purchasing a small business is expressed by this prospective buyer of a liquor store who is told by the seller that there is more money being made than shows up on the books. Should the buyer accept that statement by the seller & go ahead with the purchase?