Postings Advertise Resources Blog Discussions About Us Register Login BizBen Podcast   BizBen Podcast  
BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

Seller Doesn't Have Recent Financial Figures: What Should I Do?

Posted By: Peter Siegel MBA: BizBen Founder, Lead Advisor.   The owner selling the business doesn't have recent financial information or documentation but insists revenues are increasing. Should buyers believe the seller? What should buyers do in this situation? ProIntermediaries on BizBen answer the question of verifying seller / owner's financial claims.

Oh boy, I've heard this one before. This is actually a common statement made by sellers that have provided tax returns or year-end figures for last year but say they haven't got the profit and loss figures for the past several months. And in other cases, they will say have that they have not had a chance to file last year's returns and expect you, the buyer, to rely on numbers that are more than a year old.

Now, I have been involved with a few cases where the owner didn't keep accurate financial numbers and getting a good read on the health of the business was difficult, but these are rare instances. When someone is trying to sell their business it is highly suspicious if the owner can't provide financials showing recent profit and loss. Honestly, to me, it means that the seller is purposely withholding this information. In a case like that it's usually a good bet that the owner has something to hide. And I would advise the buyer to move on.

Contributor: Broker/Consultant: Elderly Care Services
Owner's of small business's have to wear many many hats and all too often these Owners are great at one thing and maybe not so great at another. Can you imagine the Owner of a Residential Care Home for the Elderly who is asked to not only manage Employees, care for the Elderly Residents, manage California licensing laws, cut the grass and can keep their finances in order?

If the Sellers books and records of their financing or not in order don't worry. Simply utilize alternative forms of verification to prove the health of the business. In Elderly care home business's that might look like checking out their bank statements, the utility bills, Employee compensation schedules, Resident contracts, cashed checks, and so on.

Don't let fear of the unknown slow you down when checking out a business, just get creative and look from a different perspective.

Owner's of small business's have to wear many many hats and all too often these Owners are great at one thing and maybe not so great at another. Can you imagine the Owner of a Residential Care Home for the Elderly who is asked to not only manage Employees, care for the Elderly Residents, manage California licensing laws, cut the grass and can keep their finances in order?

If the Sellers books and records of their financing or not in order don't worry. Simply utilize alternative forms of verification to prove the health of the business. In Elderly care home business's that might look like checking out their bank statements, the utility bills, Employee compensation schedules, Resident contracts, cashed checks, and so on.

Don't let fear of the unknown slow you down when checking out a business, just get creative and look from a different perspective.
Contributor: Transactional Attorney
You don't have to trim the shrubs, cut the lawn and wash the windows to sell a house, but the homeowner who doesn't is telling you they don't care much about maintenance. The same holds true with business sellers.

I agree with Peter and Craig that when a seller puts a business on the market without having at least made an attempt to put together updated financials it's a red flag. It doesn't necessarily mean that the numbers aren't improving, but it does mean that the seller lacks certain common business sense, which is not a good sign from the start.

If you believe the business has significant potential, is undervalued, or otherwise is unique, there are ways to evaluate whether the numbers are truly improving without formal financials.

The first step is to review the bank statements. If revenue is up, that should be reflected in the statements. If it's not, then you can stop the investigation and look for another business.

Even if revenue is up, you still need to evaluate expenses. The bank statements can help with this, but they often won't tell the full story. If you don't have the accounting background to do it yourself, the only true way to get a real picture as to what's going on with the business is to work with an accountant who can help you evaluate the numbers that are available (even if that means building them yourself) and comparing them with the historic numbers and trends.

The problem with this approach is that without recent financials there's nothing current for the seller to make "reps and warranties" to. Those are key components of your purchase agreement where the seller makes specific statements about the financials (and other aspects of the business). If those statements aren't true at the close you can avoid closing and if you find out later they aren't true, you have legal recourse after the sale (all assuming your contract is properly drafted).

The best option in this case may be to ask the seller to prepare financials and hold off on the deal until they do.

You don't have to trim the shrubs, cut the lawn and wash the windows to sell a house, but the homeowner who doesn't is telling you they don't care much about maintenance. The same holds true with business sellers.

I agree with Peter and Craig that when a seller puts a business on the market without having at least made an attempt to put together updated financials it's a red flag. It doesn't necessarily mean that the numbers aren't improving, but it does mean that the seller lacks certain common business sense, which is not a good sign from the start.

If you believe the business has significant potential, is undervalued, or otherwise is unique, there are ways to evaluate whether the numbers are truly improving without formal financials.

The first step is to review the bank statements. If revenue is up, that should be reflected in the statements. If it's not, then you can stop the investigation and look for another business.

Even if revenue is up, you still need to evaluate expenses. The bank statements can help with this, but they often won't tell the full story. If you don't have the accounting background to do it yourself, the only true way to get a real picture as to what's going on with the business is to work with an accountant who can help you evaluate the numbers that are available (even if that means building them yourself) and comparing them with the historic numbers and trends.

The problem with this approach is that without recent financials there's nothing current for the seller to make "reps and warranties" to. Those are key components of your purchase agreement where the seller makes specific statements about the financials (and other aspects of the business). If those statements aren't true at the close you can avoid closing and if you find out later they aren't true, you have legal recourse after the sale (all assuming your contract is properly drafted).

The best option in this case may be to ask the seller to prepare financials and hold off on the deal until they do.
Business sellers need to be totally transparent if the expect to sell their business for more than the liquidation value of the physical assets, if even that. Without basic books and records, most businesses have no intrinsic value -- they become a waste of time for a buyer to consider and a waste of time, effort, and money for a business broker to represent.

I had a business I represented for almost a year with horrendous financial records. I tried working with the owner to recreate the books from raw data; I tried to get the owner to bring in a professional bookkeeper; I even got a potential buyer to volunteer to recreate the financials himself during an extended due diligence. But, in the end, the seller used every excuse imaginable not to cooperate -- "illness," "family difficulties," "lack of time," "depression;" and, after learning a costly lesson, I gave up. My time and talent (and money) can be better invested in working with sellers who are serious about cooperating and providing essential business data to a prospective buyer.

Business sellers need to be totally transparent if the expect to sell their business for more than the liquidation value of the physical assets, if even that. Without basic books and records, most businesses have no intrinsic value -- they become a waste of time for a buyer to consider and a waste of time, effort, and money for a business broker to represent.

I had a business I represented for almost a year with horrendous financial records. I tried working with the owner to recreate the books from raw data; I tried to get the owner to bring in a professional bookkeeper; I even got a potential buyer to volunteer to recreate the financials himself during an extended due diligence. But, in the end, the seller used every excuse imaginable not to cooperate -- "illness," "family difficulties," "lack of time," "depression;" and, after learning a costly lesson, I gave up. My time and talent (and money) can be better invested in working with sellers who are serious about cooperating and providing essential business data to a prospective buyer.

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

Curb Appeal Selling A Business Does Curb Appeal Really Help Sell Small Businesses? Brokers & Agents Discuss

This post is essential reading for any prospective business seller. Curb appeal is critically important, not just to the amount of the final sale price, but also to whether there will be a sale at all. Top ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors discuss this valuable topic on this BizBen.com Discussion.
6 Untruths Told To Business Buyers 6 Possible Untruths Told To Business Buyers When Buying A Small Businesss

Even without meaning to be dishonest, sellers or brokers talking to someone who wants to buy a small business often make statements that are not true. And sometimes what is said is known to be a lie. The buyer is smart to carefully evaluate what they hear - six untrue statements sometimes told.
Questions To Ask A Business Broker Hiring A Business Broker? Ask These Top Key Questions First, Then Decide

The key to finding the ideal business broker or agent and selling a small business is asking the right questions and getting the right answers back! Peter Siegel, MBA with BizBen & several top business brokers and agents (ProIntermediaries) in California contribute to this topic to assist sellers.
Co Brokerage When Selling A Business Before You Select A Business Broker: Do They Co-Broker With Other Brokers?

To receive the fullest exposure for selling their business, small business owner/sellers should make sure their listing broker or agent is co-operating with other business brokers and agents on their deal. Christina Lazuric a Orange County business broker discusses this topic with BizBen Users.
Card Or Coin Laundry Debated Coin Op Laundromat Or Card Operated Laundromat? Steve Erlinger Discusses

More and more we see "Coinless Laundromats". Anyone in the business or entering the business will face the age old question; Coin or Card? Well, perhaps it's not an age old question, as card systems haven't been around very long, but it is a question worth considering. Steve Erlinger explains.
Buying A Business Without Financials Business Seller Doesn't Have Recent Financial Figures: What Should I Do?

The owner selling the business doesn't have recent financial information or documentation but insists revenues are increasing. Should buyers believe the seller? What should buyers do in this situation? ProIntermediaries on BizBen answer the question of verifying seller/owner's financial claims.
Business Buyer Feedback On Postings 8 Items Buyers Of Small Businesses Find Critical When Reviewing Businesses

In this month's Business Buyer survey for BizBen.com, we asked participants in our ProBuy Program and 250 other random business buyers what they look for and avoid when looking at a business for sale postings online. Of the 20 potential posting characteristics we asked about, 8 stood out with most.
Reason For Not Selling Business What Are Some Possible Reasons My Broker Didn't Sell My Small Business?

What are some reasons a business that was previously on the market with another broker didn't sell? Every broker or agent understands that not every business they list will result in a sale. There can be many reasons small businesses don't sell and many are discussed on this BizBen Discussion post.
Keeping A Business Sale Confidential Why Is A Small Business Sale Kept Confidential? Advisors Discuss This Topic

Recently a business owner asked me on the phone, "Why do you keep the sale of a business confidential? How do you keep the sale confidential - any good tips?" Multiple Advisors weigh in on this subject. What would be your answer to this business owner? ProIntermediaries on BizBen discuss this topic.
How To Select A Business Broker Selecting A Business Broker To Sell My Business: What Should I Look For?

What should your business broker do for you to successfully sell your small to mid-sized business? Well, there's many things that a qualified business broker can and should be doing for you. Multiple ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors give suggestions and tips to sellers in this BizBen Discussion.