BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

What Do I Need To Disclose To A Prospective Buyer Of My Business?

Posted By: Peter Siegel MBA: BizBen Founder, Lead Advisor.   When selling a small business you always run the risk of a lawsuit. They aren't as common as one may think in this litigious world in which we live in, but whenever there is money exchanging hands & attorneys involved the stage is set for a lawsuit. Various ProIntermediaries share their viewpoints.

Comments & Feedback From Pro Intermediaries & Pro Advisors On BizBen:

When you always run the risk of a lawsuit. They aren't as common as one may think in this litigious world in which we live in, but whenever there is money exchanging hands and attorneys involved the stage is set for a lawsuit.

In an earlier topic we talked about being careful about what you say to a prospective buyer to protect yourself from a lawsuit for misrepresentation. In this post my advice is to be careful about what is not said. The other side of misrepresentation that can land a seller in court is the claim that the buyer was not told about a factor that negatively impacts the business. The buyer might argue that the seller knew about, for example, the impending loss of a major customer, or plans for a larger company to begin competing with the business being sold. And failed to disclose the information. The bottom line regarding misrepresentation and lawsuits is to always tell the truth.

Disclose what needs to be disclosed and don't over sell your business or make false promises or guarantees. Think about yourself as the buyer and tell them what you would want to know yourself if you were in their position.

Contributor: Business Appraisals, Valuations Advisor
First off, the seller must be completely honest with his broker. If there faults the broker can soften their impact by bringing them up early in the selling process.

During due diligence all records and all areas of the business should be open to the buyer. The seller should be eager to provide any information the buyer wants. There should not be a time limit on how long the seller can review the business records. If the buyer wants to go through every file be patient and help him.

It is always wise to have the buyer sign a statement that he was satisfied with the due diligence.

The applicable legal terms are: "reasonable," "relevant," and "material."

The seller must make a reasonable assessment of any and all factors that are material (of significant value or risk) and that are relevant (that relate to the business after the closing) to the transaction, EVEN IF the buyer has not specifically asked the "right question." For example, knowing that the street in front of the store will be closed for repairs for three months shortly after the closing and not revealing that information to the buyer could be both relevant and material. For another example, knowing that the city may be planning on requiring shop owners to display street address numbers of a certain size at some time after the closing may be "relevant", but it is hardly "material." And, for yet another example, if the seller has terminal cancer and there is no significant way this will adversely affect the business after the closing, that health issue is neither relevant nor material and does not need to be disclosed.

In short, this is a "CS" issue -- common sense. If the seller has any doubt or question about material and/or relevant disclosures, this would be a very important conversation to have with an attorney, before entering into contract.

And, then there is the question of "When to disclose?"-- It should be sooner rather than later. Definitely any disclosure should be made during due diligence if known, or as soon as the seller does know if discovered after due diligence. The longer the delay in advising the buyer, the greater the potential damages to the buyer, and the greater the potential liability to the seller.

I agree with Timothy, it is critical to disclose everything about the business to buyer. However, how it is disclosed is as important as what is disclosed. When I take new listings, I really stress the importance of the seller disclosing every possible negative about the business to me upfront. The worst thing that can happen is if the buyer finds something negative during due diligence that wasn't disclosed prior to either the broker or the buyer. It is very hard to regain the trust in the deal if undisclosed information looks like it was intentionally hidden. On a positive note, I have sold many businesses that had issues and it wasn't a problem because of the way it was presented upfront. You are never wrong when you do the right thing.

Place A Posting To Sell Or Buy A Business, Search All Postings

Sell A Business Fast: Place A For Sale Posting Now To Sell A Small Business - 7 Programs To Select From >
Find A Business To Buy Fast: Place A Wanted To Buy Posting Today - Best Way To Find & Buy A Business >
Search Business For Sale & Wanted To Buy Postings On BizBen - 500 New & Refreshed Postings Daily! >

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

How To Select A Business Broker Selecting A Business Broker To Sell My Business: What Should I Look For?

What should your business broker do for you to successfully sell your small to mid-sized business? Well, there's many things that a qualified business broker can and should be doing for you. Multiple ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors give suggestions and tips to sellers in this BizBen Discussion.
Key Factors Play A Role When Selling When To Sell Your Small Business - Many Key Important Factors Play A Part

Determining the right time to sell a private business is as much an art as a science, because there are so many factors at play and each business is unique. The timing of a business sale is critical. Christina Lazuric, CBI, Orange County Business Broker discusses this topic on this BizBen Blog post.
6 Untruths Told To Business Buyers 6 Possible Untruths Told To Business Buyers When Buying A Small Businesss

Even without meaning to be dishonest, sellers or brokers talking to someone who wants to buy a small business often make statements that are not true. And sometimes what is said is known to be a lie. The buyer is smart to carefully evaluate what they hear - six untrue statements sometimes told.
Due Diligence Gas Station Purchases Buying A Gas Station Business: What To Look For When Doing Due Diligence

Doing due diligence when buying any type of business is extremely important. Regardless of what type of business you are buying there are certain things you will always look at such as, financials, equipment, legal issues etc. We take a look at several angles for optimal gas station due diligence.
Latest Business Broker Survey 6 Successful Traits Of Top California Business Brokers: New BizBen Survey

The latest BizBen.com survey of California Business Brokers and Agents outlined what it takes to be a top ten percent performer in the business brokerage industry. From good communication to utilizing your resources, these traits are something to take note of and put into practice to be successful.
Business Brokerage Questionable Practices Sellers: Watch For These Business Broker Questionable Practices

Lee Petsas (Southern California Business Broker) shares his concerns regarding some questionable business practices by some California Business Brokers lately. Other Business Brokers and Advisors weigh in as well on this BizBen Blog post with other "dirty tricks" they have observed and heard about.
Why Many Deals Fail Why Many Deals Fail: Unrealistic High Asking Prices Are Usually The Culprit

The unfortunate truth is that approximately 50% of all small business sales transactions fall through. While failed transactions can happen for a variety of reasons, Peter Siegel, MBA (BizBen Founder & Lead Advisor) discusses the most common reason deals fall through; unrealistic asking prices.
3 Car Wash Types To Purchase Buying A Car Wash Business: 3 Successful Types Of Car Washes To Consider

One of the most popular business searches (and eventual business purchase) on BizBen is the self serve and full service car wash. Peter Siegel, MBA (ProBuy & ProSell Programs Director) with BizBen.com reflects on three types of car wash models and what buyers should look for in a car wash purchase.
Should Buyers Take Control Before Closing? Should A Buyer Be Allowed To Operate A Small Business Before Escrow Closes?

Business buyers, brokers, owner/sellers all ask this question at some point. So I decided to ask some of the top Intermediaries in the California marketplace what they thought of the idea. Most of the ProIntermediaries on BizBen agreed with me on taking early possession before the close of escrow.
Sellers Discretionary Cash Add Backs Add Backs: Defining Sellers Discretionary Cash When Buying A Small Business

The use of add backs & sellers discretionary cash is common among sellers of businesses when showing their financial information & explaining that the buyer will actually enjoy more profit than is shown. But buyers are cautioned to review documents closely. Peter Siegel, MBA with BizBen explains.