BizBen.com
500 New & Refreshed Posts, Postings Daily
Over 8,000 Postings & 2,500 Resources
Assisting Buyers & Sellers Over 25 Years!

Categories

Does Curb Appeal Really Help Sell A Business?

Posted By: Timothy Cunha JD, Business Broker: San Francisco Bay Area.   This post is essential reading for any prospective business seller. Curb appeal is critically important, not just to the amount of the final sale price, but also to whether there will be a sale at all. Top ProIntermediaries and ProAdvisors discuss this valuable topic on this BizBen.com Discussion.

Comments & Feedback From Pro Intermediaries & Pro Advisors On BizBen:

This post is "essential reading" for any prospective business seller. Curb appeal is critically important, not just to the amount of the final sale price, but also to whether there will be a sale at all.

And, the comment about a fresh coat of paint illustrates how "do-able" enhancing curb appeal can be.

A few other pointers:

- Get rid of outdated posters, notices, and displays.
- De-clutter.... The more open space there is the larger the premises will appear and the more efficient the operation will seem.
- Lighten up.... The effect of more sunshine coming in or higher-wattage bulbs is amazing.
- Empty the trash.
- Make sure the restrooms are spotless. People form generalized opinions about the whole establishment based on the appearance of the lavatories. It's indicative of how you treat and respect your employees and customers. Same goes for the staff kitchen or break area.
- If the business has an office, clear the desks. Few things scare prospective buyers more than piles of paperwork.

Now for the real secret -- when business owners improve their "curb appeal," they are usually pleasantly surprised to find that their team's efficiency, productivity, and profitability improve as well.

I tell my clients to think about what people like most about franchise restaurants and businesses like 7-11 convenience stores. Corporate stores like In-n-Out Burgers are clean, bright, and have easy to read menus. 7-11 stores, with the exception of decals in the windows for monthly specials, also have clean windows and the store is brightly lit inside. I have gone into mini-marts where the entire windows are covered with posters, and inside is dark with missing fluorescent bulbs.

Just because a small business does not have the cache of a well know name is no excuse for the business not to be clean. Every Burger King, either in California to Maine, probably has the same guidelines on when the bathroom should be cleaned and whose responsibility it is to take out the trash. I often times will go into a public restrooms and on the wall is a clipboard with who cleaned it and their initials they wrote every hour it got done.

Contributor: Business Broker: LA County Area
I've found over the years that many owners don't bother to clean up because it seems like such an awesome and awful task. They often don't know where to start, so they never try. They fall in love with the term "as is." To these owners I point them to one thought - the magic of paint! A new paint job may cost a couple grand along with some time and effort, but the transformation is often incredible. Especially with retail and other businesses where comfort and cleanliness is a big part of the customer experience. The unintended benefit is that the painting and prepping usually leads to cleaning up space and tossing out clutter that's been there for years. It can make a huge difference when it's time to sell.

Place A Posting To Sell Or Buy A Business, Search All Postings

Sell A Business Fast: Place A For Sale Posting Now To Sell A Small Business - 7 Programs To Select From >
Find A Business To Buy Fast: Place A Wanted To Buy Posting Today - Best Way To Find & Buy A Business >
Search Business For Sale & Wanted To Buy Postings On BizBen - 500 New & Refreshed Postings Daily! >

Other Related Blog Posts, Articles, And Discussions You May Be Interested In

Appealing To Restaurant Buyers During COVID Tips On Selling A Restaurant: Appealing To Restaurant Buyers During COVID-19

ProIntermediary, Joe Ranieri (Business Broker) shares what buyers are looking for in this unprecedented market. COVID-19 has made curb appeal more important than ever when selling a restaurant. Sellers still have the power to attract buyers in this market with focus of a few key requirements.
Tips For Business Sellers Business Owners: Do Not Make It Hard To Buy Your Business - Successful Tips

Successful sellers of small businesses need a game plan to sell their California small business for maximum price and for the best terms. Peter Siegel, MBA discusses these seller strategies with BizBen Blog readers based on his experience as the lead Advisor with the ProSell Program on BizBen.com.
Coin Card Laundry Business Valuations What Top Key Factors Contribute To Coin & Card Laundry Business Valuations?

We are finding that many laundry buyers and investors are not being given true light to selected elements of value or there are inconsistencies in the interpretation of these elements of value. This common error needs to be addressed. In this BizBen Discussion we address many of those factors.
Great Questions To Ask A Seller As A Business Buyer What Questions Should I Ask The Owner, Seller Or Broker?

Asking the seller straightforward questions and getting straightforward answers in return is an important part of the buying and due diligence process. In this Discussion, both ProIntermediaries and Advisors offer thorough questions you should be asking during your meeting with a business seller.
Buying A Business Losing Money Should I Buy A Small Business That is Losing Money? Brokers & Agents Discuss

When considering buying a business that is losing money one has to be very careful. There are reasons that the business could be losing money that aren't fatal or extremely difficult to fix and there are other reasons that should send you running in the other direction. ProIntermediaries discuss.
8 Questions To Sellers 8 Questions You Most Likely Will Be Asked When Selling Your Small Business

When selling your small business, you'll be bombarded with questions - from the brilliant to the ridiculous. You need to be prepared. Here are some of the key questions you can expect to be asked. Tim Cunha (SF Bay Area Business Broker) reviews many of these possible questions from potential buyers.
Buying A Business Without Financials Business Seller Doesn't Have Recent Financial Figures: What Should I Do?

The owner selling the business doesn't have recent financial information or documentation but insists revenues are increasing. Should buyers believe the seller? What should buyers do in this situation? ProIntermediaries on BizBen answer the question of verifying seller/owner's financial claims.
SBA Loan Financing To Buy A Business Need Financing To Buy A Business? SBA & Non SBA Financing Available Today

Buying a business? Need financing? For over 25 years Peter Siegel, MBA has been providing niche business purchase financial advisory/loan placement services with SBA Loans, Non SBA Financing. Call me today business purchase financing & to get pre-qualified before you buy or sell: 925-785-3118.
Disclosures Needed For Business Buyers What Do I Need To Disclose To All Prospective Buyers Of My Small Business?

When selling a small business you always run the risk of a lawsuit. They aren't as common as one may think in this litigious world in which we live in, but whenever there is money exchanging hands & attorneys involved the stage is set for a lawsuit. Various ProIntermediaries share their viewpoints.
Business Buyers Biggest Mistakes What Are Buyers Biggest Mistakes? The Pro's Examine 25 Of The Most Common

A business buyer in our ProBuy Program searching to buy a small business asked me to sum up what I thought the biggest mistakes business buyers make when they search for and bought a small business. I asked ProIntermediaries on BizBen their thoughts on the matter and received a diverse response.